Sunday, March 16, 2008

Joomla! Great CMS or not?

I was asked by my home owners association to build a website that would have among other things, a blog, a discussion group and the ability of the members or executives to do their own editing. A long time back a friend of mine had mentioned using a content management system and so I looked into it and found a bunch. At that time, Mambo was recommended but there were a few others. Most of the information I had gotten from the web pertaining to this was about Mambo. Fast forward to today. By now, Mambo is no longer known by that name but is now Joomla from a Swahili word meaning coming together. There are also other players that are still in the game and one of them is Drupal. I looked around and sure enough there are even more and they all vary in complexity. They are out there.


I'll be dealing with some of the issues I find with Joomla and will be updating this blog regarding it as we go along. I realized that even though I could be reviewing several of the CMS systems, the best thing for me is to make sure that I am very familiar with at least one of them and then when time permits look deeply into the others. The most important thing is to make sure I can get a site up very quickly.

My foray into Joomla began with 3 sites almost simultaneously. One for my church (www.sanctuaryofhispresence.com), another for me covering my interest in photography (www.iainsworld.net). Needless to say I'm still tweaking them all while learning their intricacies.

Stay tuned.

No comments: